New record price for ram
Konsortium-Merino has held five sales on a trot in January and February 2012 and sold the most rams ever this autumn. Of the 585 rams on offer, 559 sold for an average price of R5 560. The highest price was R47 000 paid for a ram at the 22nd production sale held on the farm Dombietersfontein, Victoria-West. This is a new record for a Konsortium-Merinoram. The previous highest was R46 000 paid in February 2006.
- 26 January 2012, first joint sale with Claude Cloete/Felton-Merino on the farm Felix, Dordrecht. Highest price: R24 000. In total 102 rams sold at an average of R6 767. The 385 ewes on sale fetched R1 278 a piece. The highest price was R1 500 per ewe for a group of 4/6-tooth ewes.
- 16 February 2012, Konsortium-Merino's 22nd production sale held on Dombietersfontein, Victoria-West. Highest price: R47 000. The 298 rams sold at an average of R5 479. More than half of the rams (164) fetched R5 000 and less, 115 rams were bought for between R5 000 and R10 000, for 19 rams more than R10 000 was paid. The 580 ewes sold for R1 603 a piece. The top price was R2 100 paid for a group of pregnant trademark ewes.
- 22 February 2012, Konsortium-Merino's 2nd South Freestate sale on the farm Donkerpoort, Gariepdam. Highest price: R11 000. In total 42 rams were sold at an average of R4 937. For the 917 ewes an average price of R1 688 was paid. The highest price was R2 175 per ewe for pregnant Konsortium-Merino stud ewes.
- 23 February 2012, Konsortium-Merino & Marlow Agricultural School's 6th joint sale held at the Marlow clubhouse, Cradock. Highest price: R14 000. All 60 rams were sold at an average of R5 115.
- 24 February 2012, was the 2nd joint sale of Konsortium-Merino & Hennie Coetzee/Altus Geldenhuis on the farm Geduldsfontein, Steynsburg. Highest price: R17 000. The 57 rams sold at an average price of R4 884. The 830 ewes on sale averaged R1 558. The highest price per ewe was R1 575 for pregnant trademark ewes.
More than 2 700 ewes were sold on the five sales in January and February 2012.